Saturday, May 14, 2016
Saturday, February 6, 2016
Here ye Hear ye!
Spewing "Maximum Rock & Soul Mayhem", and flunking out of Richmond, Virginia -
The Poison Ivy League just released their virtually 'live in the studio' debut demo recordings!
Check out these 4 smokin' versions of :
- Question Mark and The Mysterians, "Dont Tease Me"
- Sugar Pie DeSanto's "In The Basement"
- Ray Charles/The Undertakers "Unchain My Heart"
- Don Gardner's "My Baby Likes To Boogaloo"
Check 'em all out at their BANDCAMP site here.
Thursday, January 21, 2016
But you're in luck! This 20-song Nitro-Retro Winter Mix is designed to keep you warm!
A variety of sources here. We start off with a random international set, leading into a 3-pack of some sweaty-soul by Don Bryant, into some deep-cut early psychedelia featuring some early demo's from Pink Floyd and some vintage San Francisco groups, then wrapping up with some various 60's garage and soul nuggets.
Hope u dig it - so let's get it on! Turn it up!
Click to play or download:
"The Nitro-Retro Winter Mix"
1. Los Peyotes - "Serial Killer"
2. Los Peyotes - "El Humo Te Hace Mal"
3. France Gall - "Pense à Moi"
4. Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra - "Uprising"
5. Pioneers - "No Dope Me Pony"
6. Don Bryant - "That Ain't Right Woman"
7. Don Bryant - "Hurt No Longer"
8. Don Bryant - "She's Lookin' Good"
9. Robins - "If It's So Baby"
10. Pink Floyd (Early) - "Double O Bo"
11. Pink Floyd (Early) - "Butterfly"
12. Notes From Underground - "Where I'm At Today"
13. Notes From Underground - "What Am I Doing Here"
14. Country Joe & The Fish - "Thing Called Love"
15. Great Society - "Daydream Nightmare Love"
16. Vejtables - "Hide Yourself"
17. Tears - "Rat Race"
18. E-Types - "I Can't Do it"
19. Holly Maxwell - "Philly Barracuda (Pt. I)"
20. ? & The Mysterians - "Don't Tease Me"
Monday, January 11, 2016
Thursday, December 31, 2015
After a long hiatus & just in time for the New Years Eve Nitro-Retro Dance Party! This nearly 30 minute, 11-song mix of rare, raw & vintage soul-shakers will be sure to keep the heat going tonight! DIG IT!
Click to play or download:
"The 2016 Soul Shake Mix."
1. "Hip Shaken GoGo" - Guy Maurice (Buttshakers! Soul Party Vol. 8)
2. "Tell Me" - Barefacts (Lost Souls Vol. 1:1960's Garage & Psychedelic Rock 'N' Roll from the Un-Natural State: Arkansas)
3. "Hurt No Longer" - Don Bryant (Doin' The Mustang 65-69)
4. "The Meeting Place" - Gene Yarbrough (Chitown Boogaloo)
5. "Lost" - South Soul (Back From The Grave Vol. 10)
6. "Jerk It" - Gypsies (Think Smart LP)
7. "Lover And A Friend" - Eddie Bo (Let's Boogaloo Vol. 2)
8. "This Thing Called Love" - Webs (Funky16Corners Blog)
9. "Temptation Walk" - Sly Stone (Precious Stone - In The Studio with Sly Stone 1963-1965)
10. "Uprising" - Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra (Liberation Afro Beat Vol. 1)
11. "Hung Over" - Martini's (Buttshakers! Soul Party Vol. 5)
Saturday, November 7, 2015
Friday, October 9, 2015
Thursday, September 3, 2015
The High Spirits was a popular teen-beat surf and garage band from Minneapolis, Minnesota signed with Soma Records. The original line-up consisted of lead guitar and manager Owen Husney, drums Doug Ahrens, lead vocals Cliff Siegel, bass guitar Rick Beresford, rhythm guitar Rick Levinson, and Jay Luttio on keyboards. The band was among the Midwest groups that are credited with being the forefathers of the later punk rock scene. Owen Husney later went on to discover and manage the artist, Prince as well as eleven other gold and platinum artists! The group's first hit was a rave-up of Bobby "Blue" Bland's "(Turn on Your) Love Light," recorded in 1965. The record did well in the Twin Cities, and hit Number 1 in both Kansas City and Dallas during the fall of 1965. Their second release was "I Believe" recorded in 1966. In 2006, the band was inducted into the Minnesota Rock Country Hall of Fame. (Thanks Wiki!)
The song in our Nitro-Retro focus here is from a rare acetate from 1966. "It's Alright With Me" is one of the best reworkings of a Zombies tune I've heard—Just brilliant. Featured on "Back From The Grave Vol. 9" DIGIT! (click the 45 label below to hear the tune on YouTube)
Dig The Original Zombies tune on YouTube!